Bloglovin'

Follow on Bloglovin

Friday, February 12, 2016

Mark My Place

Most of my social media sites are for inspiration and occasionally, I try to recreate some of the inspiration.  This happened this week on Instagram with Riley Blake Designs.  They showed how to make the cutest bookmark and I thought I would make a few for some of my friends.

As always, I usually do my own version, cutting out a few steps, but the original version can be found HERE.

I followed their instructions up to a point, especially with the supplies, changing their measurements a bit:


  • Scrap fabric measuring 2 1/2" x 6" per bookmark
  • Card stock scraps measuring 1" x 5"
  • Lace trim measuring around 5 inches
  • Coordinating thread

  • If using a pieced strip for one side of the bookmark, just trim it up to the measurement requirements after you piece it together.

    Here's where I change it up a bit.  I do everything in 1 step.

    After piecing and getting my pieces cut to the measurements above, I simply layer the pieces with the card stock and ribbon in place.
     Pin through the lace and fabric layers at the top and also at the bottom.  I don't pin through the paper, but close to it to hold it secure.
     Staring on one side, I sew at least an 1/4 inch seam all the way around.  Once sewn, I trim all the sides with pinking shears, cutting both front and back, except for the fabric at the top.  I pull each piece away and trim individually, so as not to cut the ribbon.
     
    That's it!  Honestly, it took about 10 minutes...if that.
    I added some punched hearts and put these in the mail...but I kept one for myself!